Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday Morning Devo--Beyond the Tomb, Part 4


But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
John 20:24-29

When Jesus had dropped in on the disciples later in the day of His resurrection, Thomas (whom history later dubbed "Doubting Thomas") hadn't been there, and he made his famous pronouncement. No way would he believe Jesus had risen unless he saw for himself.

I wonder--did the disciples kid among themselves? Play jokes on each other? Is that why Thomas didn't believe these guys and gals, people he had spent the previous three years with? People he should have learned to trust? Or was it that he wanted to believe it but was afraid to hope?

Still--it was humbling enough to Thomas. I think he must have dropped to his knees in front of Jesus. Could you say, "My Lord and my God" to Jesus without kneeling? Especially if you had thought He was dead and here He was standing in the room, INSIDE the locked doors, in front of you? I don't think I could.

What will it take to convince you?

My Lord and My God, please reveal Yourself to those who want to believe in whatever manner it takes to show them You are risen indeed.

No comments: