Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Thursday, October 17, 2013

Author Interview--Anne Mateer




Anne BC: Our interview today is with Anne Mateer, the author of the book I reviewed yesterday, A Home for My Heart. If you'd like to read the review, click HERE.


Good morning, Anne. This could be a fun interview with so many Anne's onboard! Would you tell us what inspired this novel and how you chose the location?

Anne M: I began the research knowing only that I wanted to write a story based on some historical tidbit from my husband’s hometown in central Pennsylvania. When I discovered the Home for Orphan and Friendless and Children and read its history (being formed out of a revival on the college campus, promoting foster and adoption of children rather than being an institution to house them indefinitely), I knew I had found my story.

Anne BC: Are you a plotter (one who writes a complete outline of the book before beginning the writing process) or a panster (one who writes the story by the seat of the pants)?

Anne M: I am definitely a seat of the pants writer! But when you write on a contracted deadline, that has to be reined in a little bit. I have learned (through the help of other authors who write like I do!) to do a very minimal amount of plotting beforehand now--just the major turning points. Then I can at least have a solid roadmap but still can enjoy the journey getting to each checkpoint!

Anne BC: What is the hardest part of the writing process for you?

Anne M: The hardest part for me is plot. Actually having stuff happen. I know that might sound odd, but I can see characters walking around in my head all the time, but a book is not made by just a character. They have to want something and go on a journey to get it. I'm getting better at plot, but it doesn't come as easily to my imagination as character does.

Anne BC: And what is the most fun?

Anne M: Researching! I love reading through old newspapers, even letters and diaries, if I can get my hands on them, or listening to oral histories. The “big” historical stuff isn’t as exciting as to find some unusual quirk or situation or saying that comes straight from that time period!

Anne BC: Would you like to tell us about your next book?

Anne M: My next book, Playing by Heart, is the story of a reluctant high school girls basketball coach in 1917-18 Oklahoma. It is a story about being true to who you are. I’m very excited about it. It’s the first time I’ve attempted both a hero and a heroine point of view--both in first person!

Anne BC: Thanks, Anne. I really appreciate the effort and expertise you put into the last book, and I'll bet the nest will be just as good. God bless!

By the way, readers, check out Anne Mateer's website. She interviews readers! What a unique and fun switch!

1 comment:

Anne Baxter Campbell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.