Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Sermonette - Step Out of the Boat

When Jesus called Peter to step out of the boat and walk on the water to Him, I wonder what Peter thought?

I figure at first his eyes and heart were filled with the Lord, and Bold Peter, in all His brash exuberance, leapt at the opportunity. Adrenalin pumped his blood at a breathtaking rate. It wasn't until he felt that cold water seeping around his toes that he began to notice the size of the stormy waves on the sea.


Me? I'm the other way around. I hug the boat. I rejoice that Jesus is on His way to my little skiff, but there's no way I'm ready to take that first step on the water.

Which kind are you? The bold water walker or the timid boat hugger?

Writers sometimes get writer's blocks. They can't think of anything to put on that blank screen or piece of paper in front of them.

The water walker is in midstream and suddenly realizes there's all that white space to fill. The boat hugger won't even turn on the computer or pick up a pencil.

One time I remember being stuck. I sent up one of those quick panicky prayers: "Lord, What do I write now?"

The answer that came surprised me. "Just start typing."

Just take that first step out of the boat. "Come to Me, Peter."

Keep your eyes on Him, not the white space. Not those gigantic waves. Not on whether your printer needs more ink...

You know what I mean. For you, it might not be writing. For you it might be reaching out to help someone else. It might be choosing to go into the mission field. It might be opening your Bible and beginning a life with Christ at the helm of your boat.

Whatever it is, Get out of the boat. Start walking.

No comments: