Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday Sermonette - The Trust of a Child

Last weekend I visited my older son and his wife and one-year-old baby. Once again I found myself reminded of the scripture where Jesus says we must come to Him like a child (Matthew 18:1-6).

Children epitomize trust. They leap from vehicles or even from windows without the least doubt that their parents will catch them. They throw themselves backwards in their grandparents' arms knowing they are safe--they won't fall to the floor. They depend on others for everything--food, drink, clothing, housing, their happiness--you name it. They even sometimes demand it, don't they?

Without language, they pour out their needs to us. Discomfort inspires tears, our hearts are moved, and we provide as best we can. Check out Luke 11:1-13.

Small children are selfish. That's not an insult, as it would be if we called an adult selfish. It's just that babies haven't learned yet to consider other's needs before their own. If they are hungry, they ask for food. If they are thirsty, they demand a drink. If they are cold, they want to be warmed. They don't know yet how to give thanks, and really, they don't know yet what they really need. After all, what happens if you offer them a choice of candy or vegetables?

I'm not saying ask selfishly--we should be more adult than that--but when you need Him, He's there. How would it be if we discovered God wants to provide what we need? He provides. Or at least He has during my life. Whatever I have needed, He has provided. Every time. Granted--what He provided was often NOT what I asked for. Even as a grownup, I still would rather have candy.

A few things are necessary. You need to learn to trust that He has your best interests at heart, that He's smarter than you are, and that He cares about you more than you care about yourself. That's not as easy for me as it is for a child, but every time I have put my life into His hands, He's led me into blessings.

I don't think I'm anyone special. I think anyone can come to Him trusting that He will take care of them. Even you, if you trust Him with that same complete trust a child has. And don't forget to give Him thanks.

No comments: