Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Sermon: Restoring Love

John 21:1-19

After Jesus died on the cross and appeared to the disciples a couple of times, the disciples left for Galilee. They seemed to be at loose ends, uncertain what to do next. Peter said, "I'm going fishing." Six of the disciples went with him. They fished all night, but caught nothing.

As they were coming back to shore, they saw Someone there. He called to them, "Do you have any fish?" They said they had not. He told them to throw their net on the other side. They did, and they caught all the fish they could bring to shore and then some.


John said, "It's the Lord!" Peter jumped into the water and swam to Him.

Then something amazing happened. Jesus, their risen Lord, fixed breakfast for them. You know that people will accept discipline better from someone they know loves them, and Jesus demonstrated that principle.

After breakfast, Jesus sat down with Simon Peter. "Simon, son of Jonas, do you love Me more than these?"

"Yes, Lord, you know I do."

"Feed my lambs."

Jesus asked again, "Simon, son of Jonas, do you love Me?"

"Yes, Lord, you know I love You."

"Feed My sheep."

And a third time, Jesus asked,"Simon, son of Jonas, do you love Me?"

By now, Simon Peter was feeling hurt and no doubt remembered the three times he denied Jesus. "Lord, You know all things. You know I love You."

And a third time, Jesus said, "Feed My sheep."

What does "Follow me?" mean to you? Do what I do? Go where I go? Jesus showed them where He wanted them to go and what He wanted them to do. If you go where He goes, you will never be lost. He is The Way, The Truth, and The Life. If you follow Him, you will live forever.

How do you check your progress to see if you're following Him? How do you know? Remember, His word is a Lamp to your feet. His sheep will know His voice. Follow Him.

Remember Revelations 3:21. "To him who overcomes I will give the right to sit with Me on My throne."

Follow Him.

Pastor Shim Habte, Willows First United Methodist Church
544 North Shasta, Willows, CA 95988
530-934-3190

No comments: