Legal Property

* * * * * * * * * * * * * This blog is the intellectual property of Anne Baxter Campbell, and any quotation of part or all of it without her approval is illegal. * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Saturday, March 31, 2012

Just Thinking: How Can You Tell the Difference?

(continued from March 29)

In the first half of this blog, I described an incident in my life that I felt sure was God's leading. As a result of a Bible study, I "heard" God tell me He wanted me to move.

I had bought a house even after He began to nudge me with hints that He wanted me to move to a different town. Buying the house was my way of saying, "I don't want to go. I like it here, and I'm putting down roots."

Ever resisted God yourself?

Didn't do much good, did it?

But He wants us to go willingly. At least in my experience, He hasn't forced me to do anything.

There are a number of tests to see if a thing is God's word to you or your own imagination.

One: He will never tell you to do something something that won't line up with His already written words. For instance, "Do not lie" is one of the ten commandments. He won't lead you to lie. Or to disrespect your parents or curse God or commit adultery or steal or murder anyone.

Two: Unless it's something pretty obvious (like don't commit murder), He will confirm what he asks you to do. Sometimes it will be through a competent and trusted servant. Sometimes it's through circumstances. Maybe even both or something entirely different.

With me, he confirmed the request to move for Him through others. First, my supervisor came by the cubicles of his employees saying a certain office needed employees with our experience. If we wanted to go, we should fill out the form he handed to us and take it to Mr. Anderson.

At first, I threw the form away. (Such an obedient servant of God!) My conscience (aka God) got the better of me, and I pulled the form from the trash can, filled it out, and took it to Mr. Anderson.

A month later, a phone call came from the office where Mr. Anderson sent the abbreviated applications. They wanted a more detailed one. Then came the interview, then the offer.

Long story short, I moved. And, since moving, more confirmations that this was God's plan, one piled on top of the other.

I can't tell you how He will contact you to tell you want He wants you to know or do. But if you'll share, maybe between us we can discern.

If you don't want to post a comment on this blog for other eyes to see, send me an email at anneb1944@aol.com. I'm hoping, though, you will post here, because our conversation might help someone who is afraid or shy.

No comments: